FSMO roles are:
- Schema master – Forest-wide and one per forest.
- Domain naming master – Forest-wide and one per forest.
- RID master – Domain-specific and one for each domain.
- PDC – PDC Emulator is domain-specific and one for each domain.
- Infrastructure master – Domain-specific and one for each domain
This can be transferred to a different DC after the domain Setup and is recommended to keep on two different DCs.
Do this only in case you no longer able to access the FSMO role holder DCs,
Also there is lot of things you have to consider before doing below steps and it is very well explained on Petri https://www.petri.com/seizing_fsmo_roles
I will not recommend to do these steps in a production environment.
Steps to seize the roles
On the domain controller where you want to seize the roles run NTDSUTIL
type and enter “roles”
type and enter “connections”
type enter “connect to server “local server name””
type and enter q
Now Seize Roles (accept the warnings with yes)
Seize naming master (please note its not domain naming master)
Seize infrastructure master
Seize PDC (please note its not PDC emulator)
Seize RID master
Seize schema master